Welcome to the 205th edition of Android Apps Weekly! Here are the big headlines from the last week:
- Google is apparently working on a light search app. The app should use less data than its full counterpart. We’re all but certain the app is for emerging markets. Those places still have slower, more expensive data. The app itself looks vastly different but still works more or less the same way. The APK is available for public consumption. A release date is still unknown right now.
- Google Allo finally has a web interface. You can now use it on your phone or on your computer. It works a little funny. You have to use the web connection option in the settings of the app. Then you scan the QR code on the web app to gain access. It’s a little weird, but it works very well. Most of the features are available in the web app from the normal app as well. It’s only works well with Google Chrome. Just a heads up.
- Opera announced a discontinuation of Opera Max this week. The app helped people use less data. Data caps are getting a lot more liberal in many countries. Thus, Opera decided the service was unnecessary. It is still available in the Google Play Store. It’ll just never receive anymore updates. Opera stated that new platforms and their browsers were the focus moving forward.
- Ironhide, developers of the Kingdom Rush saga, announced a new game this week. Iron Marines is its name. The game shares a lot of the looks and feel of the Kingdom Rush titles. However, it seems to incorporate a little more real-time strategy into the mechanics. It should be a pretty decent title. The developers have an excellent track record. You can get it September 14th, 2017.
- YouTube TV expanded quite a bit this week. They are now in 29 additional markets. They’re expanding to 14 additional markets in the coming weeks. That puts the total number of supported markets at 46. That covers more than 50% of the U.S. right now. There is no word on when YouTube TV will reach other countries or the rest of the U.S.
For even more Android apps and games news, updates, and releases, check out this week’s newsletter by clicking here! You can use the form below to sign up for the newsletter. We send it out every Sunday night. You can also click here to get the Android Authority app for even faster updates!
Table of Contents
If we missed any big Android apps or games news, tell us about them in the comments. Check back next week for more!
Powered by WPeMatico