Have you flashed a custom ROM on your Android device that you do not like anymore? Do you want to flash back the original, or in other words, stock ROM on your device? If so, our tutorial below should help you. Fortunately, there are a number of websites that provide the Samsung stock ROMs that you can flash on your device and get it back to its original state. Flashing back the stock ROMalso helps you resolve any issues that you might be facing with your current ROM.
In order to do so, you are going to need a flashing tool called Odin. It is a tool for Samsung devicesthat helps users flash ROMs on their devices. It can also be used to flash custom recoveries as well as doing some other tech stuff.
Things you should know:
- Since Odin is only available for Windows based PCs, you are going to need a PC that has Windows installed on it. Sorry Mac and Linux users!
- The process will wipe off all the data stored on your device. Therefore, before proceeding any further, please backup your device.
- You are going to need Samsung drivers in order for your PC to recognize your device. If you have Samsung Kies installed on your PC, you don’t need to install the drivers separately. If you don’t, download and install the latest drivers from the Samsung website.
Downloading the Stock ROM for Your Device
There are stock ROMs for each of the Samsung devices available out there. You will need to download the one that is for your device.
Flashing the Stock ROM on Your Device
1. Since both of the tools – Odin and Stock ROM – are in .zip format, you will need to extract both of them. Make sure that you extract files to your desktop as it will be easier to find them later in the process.
3. On the main screen of the tool, you will see a number of options to choose from.
In the “Option” section of the tool, you will see some options that you can select. Select “Auto Reboot” and “F. Reset Time.” Leave all of the other options unchecked.
In the “Files [Download]” section, click on PDA. Navigate to your desktop where you have saved the Stock ROM, and double-click on it to select for flashing.
4. You are all done configuring the tool to flash the ROM. Let’s prepare your device to work with the tool. Put your device into download mode by first turning it OFF, then pressing and holding Volume DOWN + Home + Power buttons simultaneously. You will see an Android robot on your screen that indicates your device is in download mode. Plug it in to your computer using the USB cable that came with it.
6. When the process has finished and the ROM has been flashed, the tool will output a message on your screen. Then, unplug your device from your PC and turn it OFF.
7. When you turn ON your device, you should see the brand new ROM that you just installed on your device.
Knowing that you can easily revert back to the original ROM, you should have no worries about trying out new ROM. The worst that can happen is to restore back to the original ROM. One thing though, do remember to back up your data before you flash any ROM.